Town of Mexico
P O Box 98
64 S. Jefferson St.
Mexico, NY 13114
The Town of Mexico is located just 25 miles north of the growing metropolitan area of Syracuse, on the eastern shore of Lake Ontario, and is near an interchange of Interstate 81, a major north-south transportation artery. It is also within easy commuting distance of the smaller cities of Oswego and Fulton. Mexico is served by four New York State arterial highways that provide high speed transportation linkage to the surrounding area.
Accessibility to employment centers coupled with the town’s rural environment and location within the scenic Lake Ontario shoreline region, make it an attractive small town residential community.
Mexico was first formed into a town by an act of the New York State Legislature in April 1792. The town included all of the present counties of Onondaga and Cortland and the western and central portions of Oswego County. The land commissioners were ordered by the Surveyor General to lay out and name each new town. Possibly one of the commissioners was interested in Central America and chose Mexico for a name.